Experienced holistic farming family seeks like minded land opportunity for diversified, regenerative and educational agricultural enterprise.
Contact Farmland Seeker
- North Central
- South Central
Total acres 25.0
Acres of cropland or tillable land 5.0
Acres of pasture 15.0
Acres of unfenced pasture 5.0
Looking for the following:
Type of opportunity:Sale (Standard), Lease (1 to 5 Years), Lease (5+ Years), Lease with Option to Buy, Internship / Mentorship, Incubator / Mentored Lease, Business Partnership, Employment with Transfer. More info: We want to care for the land in a way that is sustainable economically, socially, and environmentally. We are committed to agricultural practices that are regenerative and restorative. We believe that a healthy diversified farm makes many streams of revenue possible while improving the general health of the farm organism. We are looking for a piece of property that has housing, water, electricity, and sewer. But we don't need anything fancy. We are able to make a small space work well for us as a family!
Equipment & infrastructure:Barn, Fencing, Well / Pond / Other water source, Greenhouse, Livestock facilities, Farmer housing, Farm equipment, Irrigation equipment, Cold storage (cooler/freezer). More info: We are open to any infrastructure and equipment situation. Of course the more that is available on the property the better the benefit for everyone!
Current production on farm:Cattle (Dairy/Beef), Christmas trees, Fallow, Flowers, Hay or pasture, Hemp, Herbs, Hogs, Honey bees, Orchard, Poultry (Broiler/Layer), Sheep/Goat (Dairy/Meat), Vegetable production, Woodlot or forest products. More info: We are also open to a myriad of current production options. We have a diverse background in farm management and have successfully done almost everything. The one thing we don't have any experience with is vinting and vineyard care. That being said we are open to learning new skills and relish the opportunity to expand our repertoire.
Current farming practices:Biodynamic, Certified organic, Transitioning to organic, Ecological production but not certified. More info: We would prefer a piece of land that hasn't been in conventional production for a minimum of 3 years.
Qualifications and goals:
Previous farming experience:Volunteer, Employee, Manager
Number of years experience:10
Other qualifications:Higher education in agriculture or related field. More info: Degree in Environmental Science and Sustainable Ag. from Warren Wilson College, Certificate of Education in Non Profit Business Admin Saint Paul College MN Additional formal education in: Permaculture, Biodynamics, Organic and Bio-Intensive
Production goals:Cattle (Dairy/Beef), Fallow, Flowers, Hay or pasture, Herbs, Hogs, Honey bees, Orchard, Poultry (Broiler/Layer), Sheep/Goat (Dairy/Meat), Vegetable production, Woodlot or forest products. More info: Expanding on our short term plans, our long term plans are to use our knowledge to create a regenerative agriculture consulting firm. We can see using our farm as an educational model for our clients as well as a homestead for our personal health and wellbeing. We both strongly believe that including educational opportunities to marginalized peoples and communities of color is paramount to the long term success of farming as an occupation. Therefore we are committed to strengthening relationships within our company and the broader communities to include these opportunities as often as possible. Revenue possibilities from farm direct production are site dependent.
Personal experience and production goals summary:
Thank you for looking at our profile! We are Chrystal, Stephen and 1 year old son Henri. We are seeking land to steward, homestead and regenerate while starting our Regenerative Agriculture Consulting Firm. We have lived in Central Minnesota for the last 10 years, where we worked for a 501 c3 non profit farm that supports people with special needs. We are currently traveling the US in our 24’ RV visiting farms and friends as we look for our next big land based adventure! We have a lot of knowledge and years of experience to share and put to use. Below is a summary of both of our education histories and work experience.
Warren Wilson College: Environmental Science and Sustainable Agriculture
Farm Manager: Camphill Village Minnesota Inc. CVM is a 500 acre organic/biodynamic farm and intentional community that includes adults with special needs.This included a grass fed, rotationally grazed cattle herd with 60 head of steers, heifers, and cows. A flock of laying hens and a small flock of turkeys, three hand milked dairy cows, and a farrow to finish pastured pork enterprise.Stephen successfully managed these animals. This involved brooding and breading, butchering, sales of meat, accounting for non profit tax purposes, as well as finding meaningful work daily for up to 5 people with disabilities. Simultaneously, he developed a training program for young adults looking to learn healthy sustainable land management practices. Additionally he assisted in the running of adult foster care homes at his availability. Holistic Management is a centerpiece of the farm as is biodynamics.
Responsibilities and skills acquired:
- Plan finances and production to maintain farm progress against budget parameters
- Undertake practical activities , such as driving tractors, operating machinery, maintaining machinery, general livestock management, making and applying BD preparations, etc
- Market farm products
- Buy supplies such as fertiliser and feed
- Arrange maintenance, sales, purchases, and repair of machinery and equipment
- Plan activities for trainee staff, mentoring and monitoring them
- Arrange and oversee educational volunteer projects for large groups, including children
- Maintain and monitor the quality of yield, whether livestock or crops
- Understand the implications of weather and make contingency plans
- Make sure products are ready for deadlines, such as auctions and markets
- Ensure farm activities comply with government regulations
- Search for and prepare applications for government grants
- Monitor animal health and welfare, including liaising with vets
- Maintain knowledge of pests and disease and an understanding of how they spread and how to treat them
- Apply health and safety standards across the farm estate
- Protect the environment, increasing biodiversity
- Keep financial records up to date
- Maintain livestock breeding records
- Apply for funding
- Implement Holistic Financial Planning practices
Managing the farm for a community of 50 people included many other facets of land management. Including but not limited to: Forest management, harvesting and preparing wood for winter, administrative consulting, growing vegetable crops (potatoes, sweet corn, cover crops, and hay), soil preparedness and regeneration, tractor tilling and planting and harvesting, natural pest management, plowing snow, building maintenance, apiary care, orchard maintenance, maintaining field observation logs, Website building, and much more!
Stephen is currently finishing his certificate in Permaculture Design.
As you can see Stephen has many skills and 10 years of successful and diverse land management and systems implementation under his belt.
Saint Paul College: Nonprofit Business Administration
Market Gardening/Landscape Design/Visual and Graphic Design
- Market flower and vegetable gardening design, planning, cultivating, harvesting
- Sales and marketing
- Floral installation design and implementation
- Wedding and event planning
- Knowledge of zone specific perennial plants, along with planning, purchasing, and planting
- Scaled design and planning
- Wedding and event planning
- Knowledge of and practical implementation of Feng Shui design principles
- Editor in Chief The Village Veldt, yearly newsletter, responsibilities included but were not limited to: creating content, designing layouts, setting and maintaining deadlines, mailing, setting up an online opt-in option
- Lead consultant with online marketing specialist about design and verbage content of advertisements, and social media platforms
- Logo design for CVM Farm, and PTB Farm in North Carolina
- Knowledge and ability to use industry standard platforms such as Adobe illustrator, Google Docs, Sheets, and Drive
Group Home Manager (Adult Foster Care): Camphill Village MN Inc.
Responsibilities and skills aquired:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Emotional support
- Accounts receivable and payable
- Goal making implementation tracking and evaluation,
- Guardian liaising
- Supervise and train in home staff (Direct Care Aides)
- Make sure the assigned duties of staff are completed
- Responsible for fiscal management of the home
- Oversee resident funds
- Oversee resident’s schedules and weekly appointments
- Set staff schedule
- Ensure mental health of residents and staff
- Coordinate training for staff to ensure their certifications are current
- Acted as liaison to all agencies involved in services for residents
- Ensure maintenance of the home is completed in accordance with the schedule
- Conduct staff meetings
- Responsible for the management of residents’ medications (e.g. maintain supply, supervise passing of medications, and documentation)
- Participate in required training
- Maintain required records
- On call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Managing a care house in a community of 50 people included many other facets of homesteading farming, including but not limited to: Basic animal husbandry skills, apiary care, candle making, food preservation knowledge and skills, exceptional home care skills, natural home remedies knowledge and skills, infant and child development education, exceptional culinary skills, building maintenance, financial planning, natural and DIY body care knowledge, and much more!
Chrystal is currently finishing her Ayurvedic Health and Wellness Coaching Certificate through Shakti Institute.
As you can see Chrystal has a diverse and well rounded history of caring for the land and for people. She has extensive knowledge in multiple artistic disciplines that she has used to bring beauty into her successes.
Shared Skills: Together we have many of the same skills learned through our shared time on the land and in an office setting, that ensure we work well together as well as independently. We both sat on the Administrative Group during our time at CVM. Additionally, we spearheaded a move towards Holistic Management and Conflict Resolution at CVM.
- Knowledge of food production and an awareness of customer demand, food standards, and sustainability
- Organizational and time management skills
- The ability to work under pressure
- Supervisory skills and management ability
- Conflict resolution process knowledge and application practice
- Non-violent communication skills
- Numerical aptitude
- Willingness to be outside in all weathers and patience to undertake all sorts of practical, sometimes repetitive jobs
- Self motivation with the ability to motivate others
- Large-scale business awareness
- Marketing skills
- Negotiation skills
- Genuine commitment to regenerative farming
- A commitment to animal welfare
- An understanding of the ways in which farming impacts the environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work with many types of people regardless of physical or mental ability, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, ethnicity, country of origin, or gender identity
- Proficient in multiple administrative computer interfaces
- And much more!
Henri loves to be outside in nature and is a helpful and kind addition to our family.
References for the general work at Camphill Village Minnesota can be found at their website. Or any website affiliated with the Camphill Movement in the US. We have many hopes for our entrepreneurial farming future which we'd be happy to share with you! And we can send references upon request for more detailed descriptions of our work.
We are looking for a farming situation that fits well with the needs of the land owners and our needs as a family, to live on and care for the land whilst being near a cultural center. We are open to different scenarios, that support our wishes and the wishes of the land holder, and welcome discussion and further contact if we sound like the right fit for you!
Stephen, Chrystal and Henri